A skull and cross bones made of chocolate chips.

Halloween is full of fun and adventure for us, but it may have some hidden danger for our dogs. A few of these 5 Halloween items that are dangerous for your dog we knew about—but a couple also caught us by surprise.

Here’s some of the things to look out for this Halloween, and how they pose a danger to your pet.


This one is a classic, but something you should definitely let your trick-or-treating kids know about. Chocolate is dangerous for dogs because it contains theobromine. Theobromine passes harmlessly through humans, but causes seizures, tremors, and irregular heart rate in dogs.

Chocolate toxicity is so common, there’s even a calculator to help vets determine if the amount eaten was dangerous. Even if you’re below what should be a safe amount however, it’s best to avoid all chocolate with your dog.

Sugar Free Gum/Candy

A newer danger to the Halloween treat bowl is sugar free gum and candy. While candy corn and other sugary treats are not a direct health threat to your dog, sugar free candy is very dangerous. This is because sugar free candy and especially gum is made using a sweetener called xylitol.

Xylitol is extremely dangerous to dogs and even a small amount can be deadly. Keep these candies well away from your pet and call the vet immediately if you think your pet ingested some.


Spooky candles make a dramatic backdrop for Halloween parties, but they do have their downsides. Curious dogs can knock them over and unintentionally start a fire. Chihuahuas are small enough to where most candles are relatively safe, but hot wax can still drip on them from above.

Be mindful not only of where your candles are and if they’re accessible, but also where that wax is going to go.

Lit Jack-o-Lanterns

Your small but mighty chihuahua is more likely to come into contact with a jack-o-lantern than a candle, since it is on the ground. They’re also more likely to interact with a potential food item like a pumpkin. Do not leave your pet unattended with access to a lit jack-o-lantern, as they may accidentally burn themselves.

Glow Sticks

One of the more surprising dangers facing your pet over Halloween are glow sticks. Glow sticks are often used as safety devices for children, helping them to be more visible while trick-or-treating. Dogs can sometimes see these as chew toys and end up breaking them open.

The chemicals that cause the glow are non-toxic to humans but may cause problems in individual dogs. The chemicals can also be caustic, leading to eye, nose or mouth irritation.

If your dog has chewed through a glow stick, you may want to take them to the vet to make sure they are okay.

If they haven’t—keep track of those glow sticks, and make sure your pup doesn’t have a chance to find out how nasty they taste.

Halloween should never end at the emergency vet, so do your best to keep your pet out of these 5 common household items.

What are your safety tips for Halloween? Share in the comments below!

Similar Posts:

By Andrea

Andrea is a dedicated dog mom of three chihuahuas. She has over a decade of experience as a dog groomer, chihuahua owner, and more recently as a dog trainer. She loves all things canine, particularly chihuahuas.

One thought on “These 5 Halloween Items Are Dangerous for Your Dog”

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *